Chef of the Month: Bergeron's City Market Chicken sausage, navy bean and greens soup
BATON ROUGE - New month means a new Chef of the Month. Chef Don Bergeron from the new Bergeron's City Market joined 2une In on Wednesday Morning. Bergeron showed JP and Kylie how to make a warm soup for the cool weather.
Chicken Sausage, navy bean and greens soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound chicken sausage (casing removed and crumbled)
2 cups chopped seasonings (onions, celery & bell pepper)
1 Tbs. chopped garlic
6 cups chicken stock
1 can navy beans 15.5 ounce (drained and rinsed)
salt and pepper to taste
pinch red pepper flakes
shot of Louisiana hot sauce
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
4 cups mixed greens (spinach/kale/Swiss chard/mustard greens)
1/2 cup green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Whole wheat pasta, cooked (if desired)
1. In a heavy bottom pot, heat oil on medium high heat.
2. Add crumbled chicken sausage. Sauté until no longer pink.
3.Add chopped seasonings and garlic. Sauté about five minutes and add chicken stock.
4. Bring to a medium simmer and add navy beans.
5. Season with salt, peppers, thyme and bay leaf.
6. Add mixed greens and green onions.
7. Cook five or so minutes and add lemon juice.
8. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve over whole wheat pasta if desired.
2une In next Wednesday to see what Chef Bergeron is cooking up next.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Laine Hardy first Louisiana native to win American Idol
Community of people down on their luck in danger of being shut...
A new Era for Muslim women at the Baton Rouge Mosque
Thousands of residents disposed trash at Baton Rouge's hazardous waste collection
Second annual BR Oyster Fest creating opportunities for downtown businesses