Latest Weather Blog
BRFD: House fire started from woman smoking cigarette on couch
BATON ROUGE - Firefighters put out a house fire that was started when a resident noticed a fire in her sofa.
Firefighters responded to a house fire in the 1900 block of Tennessee Street around 4:45 p.m.
According to Baton Rouge Fire Department officials, the fire was caused by "smoking materials that were not properly discarded."
Officials said a resident told them she was smoking on the couch when she noticed that it had caught fire. She told them she tried to remove the couch, but the flames grew too large.
Investigators say the home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
The resident was treated on scene for minor injuries.
Damage to the building and contents inside is estimated at $25,000.
The Red Cross was called to assist the residents.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Car soars through the air after hitting tow truck ramp on Georgia...
Debris truck pulls down power lines, leaves part of residential road closed
Pay raises for EBR educators a hot topic in heated town hall...
Roofing company losing business over name confusion
Bill creating task force to study high-speed police chases passes in House,...
LSU, Tulane to meet in first round of Baton Rouge Regional as...
LSU president reminisces during team trip to DC
Southern baseball sweeps Arkansas-Pine Bluff to finish out regular season
A candid conversation with Kim Mulkey - Watch the half-hour special on...
Channel 2's Best Bet$: NBA Playoffs