Family homeless since flood starts fire in abandoned house
CENTRAL – A family left homeless after the flood sparked a fire while trying to take cover from morning rain Wednesday.
The fire department told WBRZ News 2 reporter Brett Buffington, the family was living in a tent and went looking for shelter in an old, abandoned home. The fire started just before 11 a.m. Wednesday.
When firefighters got to the scene, they found a wheelchair bound mother, and her son. The two told the rescuers, the son was using a propane grill inside the abandoned home to cook lunch when the fire started. Firefighters believe that grill is to blame for the blaze.
The Red Cross has been called in to help the two.
The fire was on Dyer Road near the Comite River.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Footage of hit and run driver crashing into Circle K gas pump
Body of sixth crewman recovered from capsized vessel in Gulf
Man found shot to death in vehicle on Greenwell Springs Road
Hit and run crash causes fire at gas station pump
LSU to announce new candidates vying for university President position Wednesday
Legendary Parkview coach Kenny Guillot passes away at 76
Southern Wins Third Straight Bayou Classic
White squad edges Purple in LSU Spring game
'We have a plan': Coach O quiet on how Title IX scandal...
Southeastern regains sole possession of first place in Southland standings with win...