Car removed from New Orleans' underground canal system
NEW ORLEANS - The Sewage and Water Board of New Orleans says an inspection of the city's underground canals led to the discovery of an underground car, among other debris, blocking drainage this week.
SWB says it launched an amphibious vehicle equipped with an underwater camera to inspect the system this week to uncover the root of the city's drainage problems. The department said the investigation was largely prompted by a particularly bad day of flooding last month.
At the intersection of Lafitte Greenway and Jefferson Davis Parkway, the underwater drone found a considerable amount of debris, along with an overturned car, partially blocking the flow of water.
"While we are committed to finding out what we don’t know, conducting these types of inspections is extremely costly," said Ghassan Korban, Executive Director of SWBNO. "The only way we can move forward with improving our infrastructure is if we do it together."
On Thursday a crane truck was able to lift the vehicle out of the drainage system.
And it’s out! pic.twitter.com/03drNThNAM— SWB New Orleans (@SWBNewOrleans) August 22, 2019
You can read more about the July 10 rain event here.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Plans for a new Mississippi River Bridge underway
Busted catch basin called into 311 last month, still no repair date
Jury selection begins for suspect accused in 2015 killing of Baton Rouge...
Nevaeh Allen's biological father heartbroken over 2-year-old's death
News 2 Geaux: St. Helena Parish Schools reopen following Hurricane Ida