Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

Police: Man turns self in for ex-girlfriend's murder

6 years 10 months 1 week ago Monday, July 17 2017 Jul 17, 2017 July 17, 2017 7:21 PM July 17, 2017 in News
Source: WBRZ

BATON ROUGE - Police arrested a man Tuesday in connection with the murder of his ex-girlfriend.

According to Baton Rouge Police, 52-year-old Robert Antoine turned himself in for the death of Monique Maxie, his ex-girlfriend. The mother of two was gunned down late Friday.

On Monday, Maxie's family spoke with WBRZ about the shooting, pleading for justice to be served.

"I just want to know why would you do this to my family, that's all I want to know, 'Why?'” pleaded Ashiya Johnson, Monique’s younger sister.

According to the family, Maxie and Antoine had been in a year-long relationship with multiple domestic dispute incidents, but none matched the violence of the latest incident.

“If you claim that you love her, that you love her kids, but you take their mother away... That is pure evilness. You don't do that to someone you love,” Johnson said.

Friday night, the family attended a gathering with friends and other family members. Suspect Robert Antoine showed up unannounced, as he has done many times before, according to family members.

“He always did, he followed her everywhere,” said Niette Maxie, Monique’s older sister.

According to Niette, when Antoine showed up, the two exchanged words. Eventually, Maxie and another woman left because of the disturbance. However, the sisters said Antoine followed the two women back to an apartment complex on Blount Road.

When Maxie and the other women attempted to run into the apartment, Antoine opened fire. Maxie was shot five times, twice in the head, according to the witness.

According to the other woman, she escaped death when the gun jammed. Instead of killing her, Antoine pistol-whipped her.

Monique’s sisters arrived shortly after the attack, but she says it was too late.

“I didn’t get there fast enough. I didn't get there fast enough. I should have been there,” Niette said while holding back tears.

Monique fought for her life for eight hours in a hospital bed before succumbing to her injuries.

Antoine was arrested Tuesday and charged with second degree murder, aggravated assault(originally attempted second degree murder), aggravated battery and illegal use of a weapon.

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days