Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media

No indication of foul play in infant's death at unlicensed day care

6 years 8 months 2 weeks ago Thursday, October 05 2017 Oct 5, 2017 October 05, 2017 10:19 AM October 05, 2017 in News
Source: WBRZ

PRAIRIEVILLE – Authorities say that no foul play was involved in the death of a 3-month-old at an unlicensed home day care earlier this week. 

According to the Ascension Parish Sheriff's Office, the decision was based on the evidence available in regard to the infant's death. However, the sheriff's office added that this is not a final determination and a more definitive conclusion will come once post-mortem lab examinations results are provided.

After a meeting with regulators Thursday morning, the owner of the home day care agreed to never watch more than six kids and was allowed to reopen Thursday, she told WBRZ.

In an interview with WBRZ, she said she was unclear of the state law and acknowledged she was not in compliance recently but said regulators never returned to her home after a previous visit this summer to discuss the issue. It is unclear if she will face sanctions and fines but said she does not believe she is liable for the child's death.   

The day care was temporarily closed Wednesday and briefly Thursday. Records from the Department of Education showed the day care was unlicensed and had previously been issued a cease and desist order in June.

Monday, a 3-month-old died in the care of a babysitter at the day care in the 18000 block of Forest Hills Drive. Authorities were called there for reports of an unresponsive child. The sheriff's office says a 3-month-old was taken from the home to an area hospital but was later pronounced dead. Deputies said the child was fighting a cold when day care workers put the infant down for a nap. The child was later found unresponsive.

Ten children and five workers were present at the time of the incident at the home on Monday.

An autopsy of the child should be released Thursday.

The day care owner was set to meet with state regulators and the sheriff's office. Groups of people arrived at the home for the meeting around 9:30 Thursday and left about an hour later.


Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz

Related Stories

More News

Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days