New Orleans relaxes COVID-19 rules, will investigate crowds
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — New Orleans officials say they’ll investigate crowds that gathered in the French Quarter after the city relaxed coronavirus pandemic restrictions.
Saturday was the first day that bars could have outdoor seats under guidelines set by Mayor LaToya Cantrell, who is taking a more gradual approach than the state.
Tweets on Sunday from the city’s official Twitter account said officials had been made aware of crowds gathering in the French Quarter and would enforce the rules, WWL-TV reported.
As we moved into Phase 3.2 yesterday, our businesses and our people have been complying for the most part. #ThankYou However, as we continue to get reports of bad actors, our enforcement task force will investigate. Guidelines: https://t.co/DxTJPbfljg ?? pic.twitter.com/aHsSMtmHMs— The City Of New Orleans (@CityOfNOLA) October 18, 2020
Under the city’s guidelines, bars may have outdoor seats for up to 25% of their normal capacity or 50 people — whichever is smaller.
Police and the city’s code enforcement task force enforced the 11 p.m. curfew on alcohol takeout and sales “in the French Quarter and throughout the city,” it said.
“Businesses not in compliance with Phase 3.2 guidelines will be met with enforcement action,” another tweet said. “Our people have put in the work which has allowed us to ease restrictions, but actions that lead to super spreader events will not be condoned. We cannot go back.”
The city did not mention enforcement against people making up crowds outside bars, the station noted.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Residents near the state capitol are concerned ahead of upcoming demonstrations
Baker opens up drive-thru style vaccine clinic for eligible seniors
More unemployment complaints fill On Your Side inbox; La. reports thousands more...
Southeastern Lions hit the "spring" practice field
Newly-selected EBR superintendent already visiting campuses, preparing for job