Louisiana man accused of killing associate enters plea
BOSSIER CITY, La. (AP) — A Louisiana man accused of killing his business partner pleaded not guilty to murder and obstruction charges, and now police say he will face more charges related to an attempted escape from custody at a hospital.
John Hardy Jr. pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder and obstruction of justice on Tuesday via video before a Bossier Parish judge, news outlets reported.
Hardy, 43, is accused in the death of his associate, Garrett Wilson.
Wilson, 48, was reported missing in January. Human remains found a short time later were identified last month as Wilson, according to Bossier Parish Coroner John Chandler.
Hardy was arrested last month and taken to a hospital due to a prior leg injury. While there, he tried to overpower a deputy and escape from custody, Shreveport police said.
“He attempted to disarm the deputy of her firearm and was unsuccessful, but he disarmed her of her pepper spray and pepper-sprayed her and attempted (an) escape,” Cpl. Angie Willhite told the Shreveport Times.
A medical assistant also told the newspaper that he tackled Hardy and put him in a chokehold to stop the attack.
“So I just got on his chest and I sat on his chest and looked at him. Put my knees on his shoulders and waited for the police to come,” Youssef Abbas Moussaoui said.
Hardy faces charges of attempting to disarm a peace officer and battery of a peace officer in that incident, according to news outlets.
Hardy is the Bossier Parish jail on a $1.3 million bond. His attorney, Dhu Thompson, filed a motion to reduce the bond. Thompson also told KSLA-TV he does not want to comment on the case outside of court.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Livingston Parish still in Phase 2 of reopening
Testing the only way to distinguish between cold and COVID, says BRG...
Tiger fans have mixed emotions about tailgating during the pandemic
Researchers find pandemic's impact on mental health, chronic health conditions beyond virus
LSU reconsidering plans for virtual commencement after student backlash