Latest Weather Blog
Fire at Angola prison caused by electrical malfunction, officials say
ANGOLA - Officials say a fire at the state prison in Angola last week was caused by an electrical malfunction.
The fire was reported Friday evening at a maintenance shop, which houses the departments that work on plumbing and electrical systems, provide pest control and do carpentry, DOC spokesman Ken Pastorick said.
It took roughly two hours to bring the fire under control.
No inmates or staff had to be moved from their usual locations, and no one was hurt.
On Tuesday, the fire marshal's office said the cause of the fire appeared to be an electrical malfunction.
The prison's volunteer firefighter team and the St. Francisville Fire Department worked to put the fire out. The volunteer fire team is made up of some employees who live on the prison grounds and get specialized training in firefighting.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Blood drive, market benefits family of Denham Springs officer who died after...
3-year-old killed in UTV accident in Port Allen
Proposed bill aims get rid of parole for 'dangerous offenders'
Suspected gunman found hiding in woods after day-long manhunt in Zachary
Officer Shawn Kelly dies in hospital weeks after shootout at Denham Springs...
LSU baseball prepares for NCAA Regional play
LSU, Tulane to meet in first round of Baton Rouge Regional as...
LSU president reminisces during team trip to DC
Southern baseball sweeps Arkansas-Pine Bluff to finish out regular season
A candid conversation with Kim Mulkey - Watch the half-hour special on...