Thousands without power across Louisiana and Mississippi following overnight storms
Related Story
BATON ROUGE — Thousands of residents across Louisiana and Mississippi were left without power after storms moved across the region late Saturday night.
As of 2 p.m. Sunday, nearly 6,000 customers in Louisiana remained without electricity, down from more than 8,000 earlier in the day.
Damage, including fallen trees, downed power lines, and roof damage, was reported in Tangipahoa Parish and Ascension Parish. Multiple power poles were also reported down along Highway 70.
Officials said a chemical plant in Ascension Parish suffered damage to a fiberglass cooling tower. CF Industries in Donaldsonville said its facility operated safely throughout the storm, with no reports of off-site impacts, and remains fully operational.
Around 6 p.m. Sunday, the usually busy Tanger Outlets Gonzales was left in darkness, with empty parking lots and nearby businesses closed.
Officials with Entergy said a large tree fell onto a power line during high winds overnight, triggering the outage in the area. The outage spread to Highway 30, cutting power to traffic lights, gas stations, nearby businesses, and homes.
Crews later restored electricity to about 2,300 customers. As of Sunday night, just over 600 customers in the area remained without service.
In Mississippi, more than 6,000 customers were without power, with the heaviest outages reported in Amite County and Wilkinson County. As of Sunday night just over 1,500 customers were still without power.
Residents in Amite County reported multiple fallen trees and widespread wind damage, including partial roof loss, snapped light poles, and a metal batting cage being tossed by strong winds.
Utility companies say restoration efforts are ongoing, but scattered debris and continued repairs could slow progress in some neighborhoods. Officials urge residents to stay away from downed power lines and check their utility provider’s outage map for the latest restoration updates.