CFP to remain 4 teams through 25 after expansion talks fail
The College Football Playoff is set to remain a four-team format through the 2025 season after the administrators who manage the postseason failed to agree on a plan to expand before the current contracts run out.
The CFP management committee, comprised of 10 conference commissioners and Notre Dame’s athletic director, met by video conference earlier this week, Executive Director Bill Hancock said Friday in a statement.
Unable to break an impasse, the commissioners decided to abandon efforts to implement a new 12-team format for the 2024 season and recommended staying with the current model to the presidents who oversee the playoff.
The Board of Managers accepted the recommendation and directed the commissioners to continue discussions on a new format to go into effect for the 2026 season.
“Even though the outcome did not lead to a recommendation for an early expansion before the end of the current 12-year contract, the discussions have been helpful and informative,” Hancock said. “I am sure they will serve as a useful guide for the Board of Managers and for the Management Committee as we determine what the playoff will look like beginning in the 2026-2027 season.”
The decision to shelve early expansion comes as no surprise. The commissioners left their last in-person meetings in early January gridlocked and unable to produce the unanimous consensus needed to move forward with a 12-team proposal they had been haggling over since June.
The presidents did not fully close the door on early expansion after that meeting, but hope for an agreement was clearly fading.
A few days after the meetings in Indianapolis, Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner Jim Phillips took the strongest public stance yet against early expansion, saying a new CFP format should not be a priority with so much uncertainty throughout college sports.
On Friday, the commissioners finally signaled they have given up on on trying to implement expansion for the final two years of the CFP’s 12-year deal with ESPN — a failure that will cost the conferences an estimated $450 million in additional revenue.
Now they will focus their attention on building a new model for beyond the 2026 season when there are no agreements in place.
The road to expansion appeared to be much smoother eight months ago, when CFP unveiled the 12-team plan. Even with details still be worked out, there was optimism that a new format could be implemented by the 2024 season.
About a month later, it was revealed the Southeastern Conference was in talks with Texas and Oklahoma to leave the Big 12 and join the powerhouse league that has produced 12 of the last 17 national champions.
SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey had been part of the four-person subcommittee that worked on the 12-team proposal for more than two years. The plan called for the field to be comprised of the six highest ranked conference champions in FBS and six at-large teams determined by selection committee rankings.
Relatively new commissioners in the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC, already leery of a process that started before they were involved with the CFP, became even more disillusioned after the SEC’s expansion plan became public.
Since then the process has stalled, despite more than half a dozen in-person meetings with the commissioners. All agree the playoff should expand, but they disagree on how and when.
Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren has said he favors automatic bids for the champions of the Power Five leagues, instead of the six best champs regardless of conference. The commissioners of the non-Power Five conferences, the so-called Group of Five, are against that — with American Athletic Conference Commissioner Mike Aresco the most vocal opponent.
Phillips continued to push for a smaller expansion to eight, if any at all.
Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff said his conference, which has only placed a team in two of eight playoffs, supports any number of expansion formats involving eight or 12 teams. But he was asking for the Rose Bowl to retain its traditional New Year’s Day time slot in a new format and the most of the others were not on board.
Meanwhile, most of the others remained steadfast in their support of the initial 12-team proposal crafted by Sankey, Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby, Mountain West Commissioner Craig Thompson and Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick.
Sankey has said the SEC already made a concession by agreeing to expand from a playoff format in which the conference has never failed to place at least one team. But he said allowing greater participation would help boost the sport nationally.
Sankey made clear: The choices for the remainder of the current agreement were 12 teams or four.
Despite the potential benefits to expanding early, four it is.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Family goes before EBR planning commission over flooding concerns with new development
$20 million added to lakes project to improve University Lakes
Family Road of Greater Baton Rouge helps families during baby formula shortage
Tiki Tubing owner arrested in molestation case, facing separate lawsuit for death...
State asks living man for death certificate
VIDEO: Former Tigers and Saints receiver Devery Henderson talks with Corey Rholdon...
Saints release 2022 schedule, will open season on the road at Atlanta
St. Amant baseball heading to first state semifinals since 2014
Southern slugs out sweep against UAPB
Southern wins game 1 over UAPB