Local runners discuss bombing verdict
BATON ROUGE - Ahead of an evening run, athletes and people from Louisiana who were at the Boston Marathon in 2013 reacted to the guilty verdict for the surviving killer in the bombing.
Adam MacDowell was among a dozen runners from Baton Rouge that ran the race that year.
"We looked out the window and you could see just droves of people running away, running as far away from the finish line as possible," said MacDowell.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was found guilty earlier Wednesday on thirty counts related to charges from the bombing. MacDowell had been following along with the trial on TV and said it is up to the jury to decide what happens to Tsarnaev now.
"It's up to them and all we can do is hope and pray that they make the right decision," he said.
MacDowell, who was with his wife and coach in Boston, finished the race about an hour and a half before the first bomb went off near the finish-line.
"We didn't know if people had finished, if some of our friends had stopped. It was really kind of a hard situation," he said.
He remembers watching the news from his hotel room, unable to speak to family members and friends because there was no cell phone reception.
About 100 runners from Louisiana were in Boston at the time. No Louisiana runners were hurt. In all, 260 people were injured and three were killed along the route. Later, a cop died in the gun-fight with the dead bomber.
For some, it's too difficult to revisit Boston, but MacDowell remains optimistic.
"I think one day I'd like to go back. Again, it's just kind of difficult," he said. "It's such a great event for Boston and everybody involved in it, it was just a tough thing to happen."