White House slams decision to block travel ban
HONOLULU - The White House is blasting a federal judge's decision to block the Trump administration from enforcing the latest version its travel ban, calling the order "dangerously flawed."
White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders says the Hawaii decision "undercuts the president's efforts to keep the American people safe and enforce minimum security standards for entry into the United States."
In a separate statement, Justice Department spokesman Ian Prior says it will appeal the ruling "in an expeditious manner."
The restrictions had been set to go into effect early Wednesday. They were to apply to citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria and Yemen - and some Venezuelan government officials and their families.
Sanders says the restrictions are "vital" to ensuring foreign nations comply with U.S. security standards.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Two dead in triple-shooting during family gathering in New Roads
Amazon hopes to bring jobs, business to the capital area with new...
BR mayor meets with feds in New Orleans to view storm aftermath
BRPD officer hit by drunk driver back home nearly a month later
Afghan refugees expected to start arriving in Baton Rouge by end of...