Residents of River Road apartment complex extinguish blaze caused by unattended candle
BATON ROUGE - A candle that was left unattended in a River Road area apartment caused a fire that led to $20,000 in damages Monday afternoon.
It was shortly before 3:30 p.m. when residents of Canterbury Square Apartments happened to walk by a unit that appeared to be on fire.
Smoke was coming from the apartment and flames were visible in the window.
The bystanders jumped into action, quickly calling 911 and grabbing a fire extinguisher. With the fire extinguisher in hand, they kicked in the door and put out the flames.
Within minutes, first responders with the Baton Rouge Fire Department arrived and were able to take over.
After confirming that no one was home, officials determined that the blaze was the result of candles were left burning near the window blinds.
Fire officials say no one was injured during the incident.
According to The People's Burn Foundation, candles cause an estimated 15,600 house fires, 150 deaths, and 1,270 injuries each year.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
CATS board votes to oust former CEO amid Investigative Unit reports
Kirby Smith demolition on track to be complete by end of summer
Package delivery location frustrates homeowner, boxes damaged or stolen
Legislators find no clear answer after discussion on new regulations for voting...
Police: Woman crashed truck through auto repair shop, struck husband in freak...