Since charges were dropped, shooting suspect released from jail last week
BATON ROUGE - Christopher Stills was allowed to leave the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison in time for the weekend since the charges against him were dismissed recently.
Stills was accused of shooting Baton Rouge boxer Emanuel Augustus in 2014. Augustus was shot walking home from an evening workout at the 14th Street gym where he got his start.
In March, the District Attorney's office said it became difficult to proceed with the trial against Stills because the only other witness to the shooting had died and Augustus never returned phone calls to investigators working the case.
Since the case was dismissed, double jeopardy is not in play and prosecutors can re-file charges against Stills at a later date.
In an interview with WBRZ on the same day as the charges were dismissed, Augustus said he was frustrated about how the case unfolded.
He asked, "I don't get it. Did I get shot by this guy or didn't I?" But, Augustus did not say anything about him ignoring investigators' calls.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Chili and Salsa Cook-Off coming to Zachary on Saturday, March 9
Louisiana Association of Fairs and Festivals hosts annual convention amid pageant controversy
Massive brush fire near Livingston Parish neighborhood burns 200 acres Saturday
Baton Rouge rapper's grave destroyed, leaving his mother to ask why
Second-annual 225 Festival celebrating capital region culture happening Sunday