Metro council approves $4.5 million settlement offer for Alton Sterling's family
BATON ROUGE - The East Baton Rouge Metro Council voted Wednesday on a multi-million-dollar settlement for the family of a Black man shot and killed by a BRPD officer in 2016.
The council voted 7-4 in favor of offering a $4.5 million settlement to the family of Alton Sterling, which filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the city and BRPD.
The talks Wednesday came after similar discussions fell through last year, including a $5 million settlement that fell short of the necessary votes.
Baton Rouge Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome posted the following statement to social media:
"I am pleased our metro council was able to find a consensus and approve an offer of settlement in the Alton Sterling civil case. After nearly five years, the people of Baton Rouge are finally one step closer to getting much needed closure in this traumatic episode in our history. Now we must continue the work of building a more fair and equitable community, where every citizen is treated justly, no matter their race or ethnicity."
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
BR first responders deployed to Florida to assist in Hurricane Ian recovery...
Hurricane Ian likely to affect Louisiana homeowner's insurance rates
Denham Springs fall festival brings fun to community, improvements to city's historic...
High schools being asked to play some football games on Thursdays due...
DOTD now says I-10 lane closures will last 14 months; previously said...
Fans' Choice Player of the Week 4: Central's Glen Cage
Plaquemine's Jayden Rogers leading the Green Devils through music
Southeastern knocks off #4 Incarnate Word on Eli Sawyer game winning touchdown...
McKinley High's homecoming football game canceled after bench-clearing brawl broke out between...
LSU Baseball team volunteers with Baton Rouge's Miracle League