Last defendant in post-Katrina police shootings seeks delay
NEW ORLEANS - A Nov. 7 trial date has been set for the last remaining defendant among a group of former police officers charged in connection with deadly shootings at New Orleans' Danziger Bridge after Hurricane Katrina.
Gerard Dugue was not implicated in those 2005 shootings. However, he faces obstruction of justice and other charges in connection with the cover-up.
His trial had been set for Oct. 24 but a federal judge Wednesday granted his request for a delay, pushing the date back two weeks. In August, prosecutors said in court records that plea negotiations were underway.
Earlier this year, four ex-officers pleaded guilty in the shootings; another pleaded guilty in the cover-up.
Two unarmed people were killed by police on Sept. 4, 2005, days after levee failures caused catastrophic flooding.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Louisiana sends aid to Florida after Hurricane Ian disaster
After questionable decisions from judges, expert says holding them accountable could take...
Fugitive shot to death after search led federal marshals to EBR neighborhood
Fugitive shot to death in neighborhood near Baker
Twin Spans in Northshore partially shut down after Thursday crash
Fans' Choice Player of the Week 4: Central's Glen Cage
Plaquemine's Jayden Rogers leading the Green Devils through music
Southeastern knocks off #4 Incarnate Word on Eli Sawyer game winning touchdown...
McKinley High's homecoming football game canceled after bench-clearing brawl broke out between...
LSU Baseball team volunteers with Baton Rouge's Miracle League