Gunman in shooting outside North Baton Rouge convenience store turns himself in Saturday
BATON ROUGE - A man turned himself in to police Saturday and admitted his involvement in a North Baton Rouge shooting earlier this month.
The Baton Rouge Police Department said George Okpara, 35, turned himself in on Saturday, telling officers he was the gunman in a shooting on Aug. 3 on Sycamore Street that left one man injured.
According to arrest records, the shooting happened at a convenience store on Sycamore Street when a group of people went to buy cigars and cigarettes.
After entering the store, a woman in the group reportedly got in an argument with Okpara inside. Okpara then pulled a gun out, and the group fled to their vehicles.
While trying to leave, a man in the group recalled hearing multiple gunshots before realizing he had been shot in the hand. The victim was taken to a hospital and survived the shooting, police say.
Officers said video surveillance confirmed Okpara pulled out a gun inside the store before exiting and shooting at the victim.
Friday, authorities posted a surveillance image of Okpara at the convenience store and asked for the public's help to identify him. He turned himself in the next day and admitted to the shooting.
Okpara was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on Sunday, and he faces charges of attempted second-degree murder and illegal use of a weapon. His bond is set at $165,000.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
New proposal by mayor could mean residents pay more for less garbage...
Parish asking people to move fences again, more DSLD residents affected
Zachary high schooler allegedly shot classmate during off-campus fight; 3 teens facing...
Woman suspected of poisoning husband and boyfriend in separate killings goes to...
St. Tammany sheriff's deputy chases cow across busy highway