Fire at Angola prison caused by electrical malfunction, officials say
ANGOLA - Officials say a fire at the state prison in Angola last week was caused by an electrical malfunction.
The fire was reported Friday evening at a maintenance shop, which houses the departments that work on plumbing and electrical systems, provide pest control and do carpentry, DOC spokesman Ken Pastorick said.
It took roughly two hours to bring the fire under control.
No inmates or staff had to be moved from their usual locations, and no one was hurt.
On Tuesday, the fire marshal's office said the cause of the fire appeared to be an electrical malfunction.
The prison's volunteer firefighter team and the St. Francisville Fire Department worked to put the fire out. The volunteer fire team is made up of some employees who live on the prison grounds and get specialized training in firefighting.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Formal charges pending for pastor who violated statewide ban against large gatherings
Bonnet Carre Spillway may open for record 3rd consecutive year
Central pastor issued court summons for violating ban on large crowds
Gov. John Bel Edwards 'personally startled' by Tuesday COVID-19 case increase
Unemployment benefits expanded to more people