Faulty A/C unit causes museum fire in New Orleans
NEW ORLEANS - Louisiana State Museum officials closed the Presbytere building in the French Quarter after a fire broke out Sunday afternoon, causing an evacuation.
According to WWL-TV, the New Orleans Fire Department arrived shortly after 1 p.m. and found smoke billowing from the building. Firefighters helped museum security evacuating people out of the building.
Fire officials say two malfunctioning air conditioning units on the first floor mechanical room caused the one-alarm fire.
According to Louisiana State Museum marking and public relation representative Marvin McGraw, the building could be closed for the rest of the week due to heavy smoke damage.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
The Presbytere was designed in 1791 to match the Cabildo building alongside St. Louis Cathedral.
The fire is still under investigation.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Traffic jams in Livingston Parish prompt lawmakers to take action
LSU fraternity suspended after suspected hazing incident sends student to hospital
Driver claims car was damaged from debris on state road, state refuses...
Iberville sheriff's office ramping up patrols looking for stolen guns
LSU Frat suspended following hospitalization of student, death of second student