Child playing with lighter causes apartment fire
BATON ROUGE – A child playing with a lighter was the cause of an apartment fire in the 5000 block of Mcclelland Court on Thursday morning.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department arrived on the scene of the fire on Thursday around 11 a.m. to find an upstairs apartment engulfed in flames. The fire was brought under control after about 13 minutes.
It was determined that the fire was started by a child playing with a lighter. The child was placed in the Juvenile Fire Setter Program. According to BRFD, the program will monitor and educate the child on the dangers of fire and the importance of fire safety.
One apartment below where the fire started received minor water damage and another apartment next door received light smoke damage. The five residents who were living in the apartment were left displaced. Red Cross arrived on the scene and assisted them.
The apartment received an estimated $55,000 worth of damage.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
WBRZ's 'Stuff the Bus' event partners with local businesses to get school...
Officials rush multiple people to hospital with possible carbon monoxide poisoning
Olympian, Simone Biles withdraws from all-around final, citing mental health concerns
Arson fire destroys Violet Street apartment
WBRZ's annual Stuff the Bus Campaign begins Wednesday