Abrupt resignations at scandal-plagued, state-run veterans home
JACKSON, La. - Two top administrators of the veterans assisted living center in East Feliciana Parish abruptly resigned this week.
Jon Salter, the long-term care hospital administrator, and Melissa Stewart, the director of nursing, both resigned Monday. In a letter announcing his resignation, Salter said his last day October 3. Stewart's hand-written note said she was leaving the facility effective the day she wrote it – September 19th. Specifics surrounding the resignations have not been revealed.
Salter has worked in the state's veterans department since 2007 and had been at the Louisiana War Veterans Home since November 2010. Stewart was hired in May 2016.
The Veterans Home has been the focus of audits and investigations in recent years. In 2015, allegations of patient injuries and cover-ups reached to executive levels. Then-secretary of the state's Department of Veterans affairs resigned following WBRZ Investigative Unit reports about care at the home.
Among allegations made about the operation of the facility, were reports records about patient accidents at the home were erased. Lawmakers were frustrated with an apparent lackadaisical attitude by former Secretary David LaCerte who was questioned by legislators about issues at veterans homes in October 2015.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Lawmakers hear from business owners impacted by pandemic as unemployment runs low
Livingston daycare employee arrested on juvenile cruelty charges
Man found shot in truck on Greenwell Street Friday has died
LSU could lose up to $80M if football is canceled, university president...
Police: 3 women charged with attacking restaurant hostess over coronavirus restrictions