Dog among those rescued from apartment fire Wednesday
BATON ROUGE - Fire crews say a massive fire on Lobdell Boulevard was caused by a child playing with a lighter Wednesday afternoon.
The fire was reported around 3 o'clock in the afternoon at the Aspens Apartments. Fire crews closed roads in the area to battle the blaze.
The inhabitants of the building, including a dog rescued in a large mesh box, were able to get out of the burning complex.
Investigators say the fire stemmed from a six-year-old playing with a lighter. Four of the ten units of the building were destroyed, six more received heavy smoke damage.
EMS treated one resident on the scene, and later released the victim.
Officials will place the child in the Junior Fire Setters Program.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
New I-110 exit only a few months away from opening
LSU grad student performs stunning rendition of national anthem for Miss. lawmakers
EXCLUSIVE video as suspect surrenders after interstate police chase
Short video clip of the end of the police chase
Police chase unfolds on I-10 in Tuesday traffic