Faulty A/C unit causes museum fire in New Orleans
NEW ORLEANS - Louisiana State Museum officials closed the Presbytere building in the French Quarter after a fire broke out Sunday afternoon, causing an evacuation.
According to WWL-TV, the New Orleans Fire Department arrived shortly after 1 p.m. and found smoke billowing from the building. Firefighters helped museum security evacuating people out of the building.
Fire officials say two malfunctioning air conditioning units on the first floor mechanical room caused the one-alarm fire.
According to Louisiana State Museum marking and public relation representative Marvin McGraw, the building could be closed for the rest of the week due to heavy smoke damage.
No injuries were reported in the fire.
The Presbytere was designed in 1791 to match the Cabildo building alongside St. Louis Cathedral.
The fire is still under investigation.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Beloved cat with microchip went missing, adopted by another family
Hammond school closed Friday due to Norovirus outbreak
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Long-time employee quits, allegations surface over missing money
What are locals saying about the failed health care bill?
Heimlich hero: Video captures student saving friend's life