Enrollment up 278,000 after Medicaid expansion
BATON ROUGE - Since Medicaid eligibility expansion to cover working adults went into effect on July 1, more than 278,000 people have gained access to preventive and primary care through the Healthy Louisiana program, according to the State Department of Health.
The DHH says the goal is cover 375,000 people by next June. 73 percent of that coverage goal was reached in less than two months.
“We are improving lives in Louisiana by providing our working poor access to health coverage they’re already paying for with their federal tax dollars,” said Gov. John Bel Edwards. “Louisiana is receiving national attention for the innovative ways we’re getting citizens covered. I hear from folks every day who say that Medicaid Expansion is saving lives, and, while we have much more work to do, I couldn’t be happier with where things stand today.”
Here are some other key enrollment stats:
- Total Enrollment: 278,031.
- Females make up about two-thirds of the total enrollment: 182,832 females, 95,199 males.
- More than 111,400 new enrollees are between the ages of 25 and 39.
- The three parishes with the highest total enrollment are Orleans (42,354), Jefferson (33,700) and East Baton Rouge (22,257).
- 22,643 SNAP recipients have enrolled.
- 66,423 people have enrolled either in-person, online or by telephone.
- Average weekday traffic on the Healthy Louisiana website is greater than 4,000 visitors per day with more than 400 online applications completed daily.
- Average weekday call volume is in excess of 7,900 calls.
More enrollment statistics are available at healthy.la.gov.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
One transported after construction crane falls on vehicle in Henderson
DOTD to discuss widening of LA 44, roundabout in Ascension Parish
Restore Louisiana to reopen survey and extend application deadline
Doorman, veteran at local bar salutes for national anthem, becomes internet sensation
Mississippi casino revenue rises as sports betting begins