Overheated remote-control car battery sparked massive apartment blaze
BATON ROUGE – First responders knocked on doors and kicked some in in an effort to evacuate residents of a burning apartment building Monday evening.
The Christmas night blaze burned through one building and jumped to part of a second just after nine o'clock. Almost immediately, firefighters began requesting for more fire crews.
> CLICK HERE to see video from the scene.
> CLICK HERE to watch one of the live reports from the 10:00 news.
The fire quickly burned through units at Jefferson Shadows Apartments in the 9700 block of Jefferson Highway near Bluebonnet.
It took firefighters less than 30-minutes to get the fire under control.
A man collapsed as he watched his unit burn, WBRZ reporter Bess Casserleigh reported in multiple live news segments from the scene during the 10 o'clock news on channel 2.
Roughly two-dozen units were impacted by the blaze. There were no reported injuries.
Fire investigators blamed the blaze on an overheated remote-control car charging on a bed. The fire spread from the room, into the attic.
St. George Fire officials said the toy was a "Traxxas" brand remote-control car. The charger was for a 7.4 volt lithium battery.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
A 10-year-old businesswoman putting her stamp on the skin-care industry
Woman bites camel to save herself after freak encounter in Iberville Parish
Officer shot, killed in Mandeville was former Marine; leaves behind 7 children
East Baton Rouge on track to break record number of overdose deaths
FEMA issues Livingston Parish deadline for flood prevention master plan
Southern Center Jaylon Brinson excited to play in front of home town
Fans' Choice Award Winner 2019: Week 1- Isaiah Jones
Coach O Postgame after Lsu defeats Texas 45-38
Hunter Register leads Southern's offense despite loss to McNeese
Taylor Bannister's journey to becoming a LSU Volleyball Superstar