Fire department responds to utility fire; power restored after outage
MORGAN CITY - A fire at a electricity substation knocked out power to some customers Monday morning.
The fire sparked when a transformer blew at the Onstead Street substation, the city posted on its Facebook page. The fire department extinguished the fire and utility crews were assessing the damage Monday afternoon.
Smoke billowed into the sky around Onstead Street, north of the US 90 bridge along the Atchafalaya River.
Power was restored to customers as of this post, the city said.
In June 2012, many customers were without power for as long as 20 hours when there was an explosion at the city-owned utility company's power plant. No one was hurt in the blast, which forced people to use generators for a day in the hot summer month while crews figured out how to repair the problem.
A few days after the explosion, generators failed and knocked out power again.
The city replaced transformers after the initial explosion.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Jury convicts deputy marshal for shooting death of boy, dad\'s injuries
At least 3 injured after tree falls on cars near Tara
Beloved cat with microchip went missing, adopted by another family
Hammond school closed Friday due to Norovirus outbreak
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Long-time employee quits, allegations surface over missing money