Coroner: New Orleans drug overdose deaths doubled in 2016
NEW ORLEANS - The New Orleans coroner says that overdose deaths in the city doubled last year.
Dr. Jeffrey Rouse says in a news release Monday that 211 people died of accidental drug-related deaths in 2016 as compared to 92 the previous year.
Rouse says it's likely the first time overdose deaths have surpassed homicides in the city's history. There were 175 homicides in the city last year.
Rouse says the city is in the middle of a "public health crisis" linked to the national opiate epidemic.
He says most people who died of a drug overdose had multiple drugs in their system. But, opiates were found in nearly 80 percent of the overdose cases.
There was also a threefold increase in the frequency of fentanyl - a powerful synthetic opioid.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Parkview Baptist teen preps for national rodeo
Dangerous hole in Zachary neighborhood posing serious threat, residents concerned
Power restored after storms pound East Baton Rouge again Friday
Mayor-president pushing for new sales tax to improve East Baton Rouge traffic
Hotel room sales tax increase proposal to appear on ballot in Gonzales
Temeka Johnson basketball camp about more than the game
Saints looking to fill backfield void during Ingram's 4-game absence
Saints RB Mark Ingram says he's 'not angry' with his contract
Sean Payton's coaching style propels him into 13th year with Saints
New coach excited to change basketball culture at Southern