Contractor accused of scamming flood victims arrested again
BATON ROUGE – The contractor wanted for allegedly scamming several flood victims across the Baton Rouge area has been arrested again.
Baton Rouge Police say that Matthew Morris, the owner of Complete Construction, was arrested Tuesday morning. Morris was wanted by BRPD, Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office and Walker Police on charges including residential fraud and theft of assets of an aged person.
BRPD Sgt. L'Jean McKneely said Morris was apprehended at his home Tuesday morning without incident.
Morris was originally arrested in Ascension Parish on Feb. 8 after 13 different victims, six over the age of 60, came forward claiming that he took advantage of them.
Morris allegedly overcharged for and failed to complete work on several flood victims’ homes.
According to arrest documents from Baton Rouge Police, Morris entered a deal with a 67-year-old victim to remodel a home. The victim said she paid Morris $105,044.54 for material and labor costs for the project. Morris came to the home, installed 6 windows and patched a hole in the roof then never returned.
Victims claimed Morris ignored multiple requests for estimates and only offered inflated estimates after demolition had already been completed. Some of these estimates were two-thirds the cost of the victims' entire insurance payout.
Anyone who is having any trouble with contractors is urged to contact their local authorities.
McKneely said Morris will be booked in both East Baton Rouge Parish Prison for home improvement fraud, felony theft, theft of assets of an aged person and exploitation of the infirmed. Morris will also be booked into Livingston Parish Prison on similar charges.