Strong gas odor at Dutchtown High sends dozens of people to hospitals Thursday morning
GEISMAR - The more than two dozen people who were treated at local hospitals following gas fumes at Dutchtown High School have been discharged.
Students headed back to class Thursday after the campus was evacuated due to a reported gas leak in the school.
The school system says the incident was due to lawn mower fumes going into the air vents of the school. Multiple people reported feeling nauseous and ill.
The school said Thursday afternoon the odor was caused by a mower parked in front of a main fresh air intake outside the school. The intake caused the mower's exhaust to permeate throughout the school building.
Parents were allowed to check their students out of class early, and all absences will be excused.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Construction ramps up on massive Comite Diversion
Catholic High wins Division I state title, beats Jesuit 14-10
Brian Kelly's salary ignites criticism from La. public service commissioner
9-year-old from Prairieville stars in the Hallmark Channel's new Christmas movie
Families excited for return of Festival of Lights to Downtown Baton Rouge
WATCH: New LSU coach Brian Kelly arrives in Baton Rouge
High school coaches give Brian Kelly advice on how to tackle recruiting...
See the contract to get Brian Kelly as the new LSU Football...
Fans share their excitement about new LSU head coach Brian Kelly
New LSU coach Brian Kelly arrives in Baton Rouge