Shelter opening for apartment fire victims
BATON ROUGE - The Red Cross announced plans to open a shelter Wednesday evening for people put out of their homes by a large apartment fire in Baton Rouge.
Spokesperson Nancy Malone said the Red Cross would open a shelter at the BREC Park at 4100 North Street starting at 6 p.m. to assist apartment residents who needed it. Malone said people who needed a place to stay for the night would have to meet the Red Cross by 9:30 p.m. to arrange things.
Dozens of residents were put out of their units after the fire Tuesday at the Savoy Plaza Apartments on Wooddale Boulevard. Firefighters said an unattended stove caused the fire, and 13 people had to be rescued from the building. One man was taken to the hospital after jumping through a window to escape the smoke.
Shelter arrangements for apartment residents displaced by the fire were not needed Tuesday night.
The Red Cross said apartment residents going to the shelter should bring essential items for each member of the family, if they have them. That includes prescriptions and emergency medications, foods that meet unusual dietary requirements, supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys as well as special items for family members who are elderly or disabled.
News 2 will have more on recovery efforts from the fire coming up at 4, 5 and 6.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Hearing scheduled for fight over aquadams between EBR, Livingston parishes
Power outages for some could linger for a few days, Entergy warns
Deaf sign language interpreter speaks more directly to his audience
Body found in field near apartment complex after reported shooting on Hanks...
Video of ominous storm system in BR recorded from Ascension