Ruffino's: Ahi Tuna Tartare
BATON ROUGE - Our March Chef of the Month is one of Baton Rouge's favorite restaurants for seafood, steaks and more: Ruffino's and award-winning, nationally-acclaimed Chef Peter Sclafani. On the menu this morning on 2une In: Ahi Tuna Tartare.
1 lb. Fresh Ahi Tuna, diced
1/2 cup cucumber, seeded and diced
1 tbsp. jalapeno, seeded and minced
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. Sriracha
1 tsp. sesame oil
Juice of 1/2 a lime
2 advocados, peeled, sliced and diced
1 cup micro greens or herb mix
10 egg roll wrappers
Cooking oil for deep frying
1 tsp. Chinese 5-spice powder
1 cup mayonnaise
1) Preheat the fryer to 350 degrees Farenheit.
2) In a small mixing bowl, combine tuna, cucumber, jalapeno, green onions, soy sauce, Sriracha, sesame oil and lime juice. Mix well and refrigerate.
3) Toss the avocado with lime juice in a small mixing bowl. Mix well and refrigerate.
4) Diagonally cut the egg roll wrappers in half from corner to corner, and then in half again from corner to corner to make 4 small triangles.
5) Carefully separate each, and drop in the hot oil a few at a time.
6) Fry for about 1 minute until crisp.
7) Drain and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
8) Dust with some Chinese 5-spice powder.
9) In another small mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Sriracha, soy sauce and sesame oil.
10) Place a 3 in. Ring mold on one side of the plate.
11) Fill 3/4 of the way with the tuna mixture.
12) Fill the remainder with diced avocado.
13) Top with 1/4 of the micro greens or herb mix.
14) Remove the ring mold and drizzle the sauce on the opposite side of the plate.
15) Repeat 3 more time sand garnish with a sprinkling of sesame seeds. Serve with won ton chips
2une In each Wednesday in March for more recipes from Ruffino's Restaurant.