Baton Rouge, Louisiana
7 Day Forecast
Follow our weather team on social media


Related Story

BATON ROUGE - A youth-led march took to the streets of Baton Rouge Sunday afternoon.

Louisiana Progress Action marched with a group from Wesley United Methodist Church to the State Capitol at 4 p.m.  The group said it is demanding justice for Alton Sterling.  Sterling was shot and killed by Baton Rouge Police last week. 

While the march was peaceful, its aftermath was more volatile as police in riot gear clashed with people on Government Street who said they were trying to make their way to I-110.  Later Sunday, protesters gathered outside the Baton Rouge Police headquarters on Airline Highway.

A Sunday afternoon protest at the 1st District Precinct of Baton Rouge Police was canceled and the precinct was closed.  Police later confirmed that precautions were "taken for the possibility of a planned protest." Police said no patrol coverage was impacted by the building's closure.  The precinct covers the area of the dispatch to the Triple S store where Sterling was shot.

Also Sunday, Governor John Bel Edwards met with state officials to discuss security.  Following the meeting, Edwards addressed security concerns.  He urged protesters to remain peaceful, follow the law and obey police or people will be arrested.  Also at the news conference, the Baton Rouge police chief said a city-wide curfew was discussed but will not be implemented. 

To deal with protests, teams of law enforcement from surrounding parishes were brought in to assist Baton Rouge Police.  Since Friday, about 200 people have been arrested on charges of inciting a riot, blocking streets or disobeying police at two protest areas: the headquarters or Government Street.  

Saturday, protesters at the Triple S called for Mayor Kip Holden to resign in 72 hours or protests could escalate.  Holden has been visibly absent from public events and news conferences dealing with Sterling's death and the response to the situations surrounding the shooting and investigation however, Holden was in a meeting with the governor Sunday but skipped the post-meeting news conference. 

People started gathering in a large group chanting and holding signs in protest of Sterling's death Tuesday.  The first protests were at the store where he was shot at the corner of North Foster and Fairfields.  Since, people have gathered outside police headquarters, city hall, the State Capitol, shopping centers and Government Street between I-110 and the Mississippi River. 

Sources told WBRZ, city leaders are meeting with the Department of Justice Monday morning to discuss the shooting death of Sterling.  


Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz


Desktop News

Click to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
7 Days