Mother, daughter killed after kitchen goes up in flames Saturday morning
BAKER - A mother and her daughter were killed when their apartment kitchen went up in flames around 6:30 Saturday morning.
The fire was reported at a location in the 5000 block of Baker Blvd. just east of Mchugh Road.
After the fire was extinguished firefighters found a 34-year-old woman deceased in the apartment's dining room, while her 8-year-old daughter was found deceased in the living room.
Authorities identify the victims to be Dominique Holden and her daughter Iyonna Holden both died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to the Brownsfield Fire Department, the husband of the victim came home after a late night work shift and called 911 when he noticed the fire.
The State Fire Marshal's Office confirmed the fire investigation and said the fire was confined to the single unit where the blaze erupted. There were no smoke alarms located in the apartment.
The cause of the fire as been ruled as accidental.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Closing Subway feeds law enforcement
Hundreds of sandwiches and produce donated to EBR Sheriffs Office, St. Vincent...
Gov. Edwards: more compliance is necessary to flatten the curve
Ascension deputies working to keep folks safe amid stay-at-home order
Baton Rouge businesses interested in PPP loans can apply beginning April 3