Latest Weather Blog
Fire at Myrtles Plantation restaurant under control after two hours
ST. FRANCISVILLE – It took firefighters two hours Wednesday to control a fire at the restaurant associated with The Myrtles Plantation.
The St. Francisville Fire Chief tells WBRZ that gaining control of the blaze was a "very labor intensive" process.
Businesses in the area reported heavy smoke filling the air around the historic site on Highway 61 around 11 a.m. Photos from the scene showed smoke pouring from the restaurant facility.
The restaurant is not connected to the actual home known as The Myrtles, billed as America's most haunted plantation.
In 2014, the home was nearly burned to the ground when a fire broke out in the gift shop, just feet away from the historic home. Then, firefighters surmised the blaze was likely caused by electrical problems.
The Myrtles dates back to 1796.
Check back for updates.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
3-year-old killed in UTV accident in Port Allen
Proposed bill aims get rid of parole for 'dangerous offenders'
Suspected gunman found hiding in woods after day-long manhunt in Zachary
Officer Shawn Kelly dies in hospital weeks after shootout at Denham Springs...
Daughter of LSU legend Billy Cannon sends dazzling gift to Kim Mulkey...
LSU baseball prepares for NCAA Regional play
LSU, Tulane to meet in first round of Baton Rouge Regional as...
LSU president reminisces during team trip to DC
Southern baseball sweeps Arkansas-Pine Bluff to finish out regular season
A candid conversation with Kim Mulkey - Watch the half-hour special on...