Woman says store-bought lettuce had a 3-inch lizard in it
KITTERY, Maine (AP) — A Maine woman who prepared a salad says she realized after a couple of bites that her fork was stuck in a 3-inch lizard, minus the tail.
After vomiting and getting over her shock, Michelle Carr, a nurse from Kittery, said she feared she could have ingested harmful bacteria. A biologist friend believes she found a blue-bellied lizard from California.
Carr said she bought a bag of store-brand romaine lettuce at a supermarket in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, on Jan. 26. The lettuce was distributed by a California company. A supermarket spokeswoman said it notified the supplier.
Carr also called the state Health Department. A spokesman said because the lettuce was packaged and shipped from another state, any investigation would be conducted by the Food and Drug Administration.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
One found dead in Holiday Inn parking lot following double-shooting
Changes made at Juvenile Detention Center after breakout
2 people shot to death at apartment complex near Longridge Avenue
2 wooden churches being restored through 'Twin Steeples' art project in Ponchatoula
I-10 westbound near Grosse Tete closed Saturday night