Woman burned by bible camp heater awarded $1.4 million
NEW BRITAIN, Conn. - A woman who was severely burned by a propane heater at a Connecticut bible camp has been awarded $1.4 million in a negligence lawsuit.
Nicole Andrew was visiting her boyfriend at the Mountain Lake Bible Camp in Warren in January 2014 when her flannel shirt caught fire while she was standing about an arm's length away from the heater. Andrew was 19 at the time and suffered burns on 90 percent of her back.
The Connecticut Law Tribune reports that a six-person jury awarded Andrew $1.4 million last month in her lawsuit accusing the camp of failing to warn her of the potential dangers of the heater.
The camp's lawyers have asked a judge to overturn the verdict, saying there wasn't enough evidence to prove the camp was negligent.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Trailer containing original artwork, said to be worth thousands, allegedly stolen from...
Business booming for Denham Springs restaurant after judge orders to halt operation
SU Athletic Department and CareSouth host curbside back to school giveaway
2MAD: Women United providing single moms, families with fresh food amid pandemic
Former LSU track star mourns younger brother's death, killed in S. Flannery...