Wheelchair-bound woman dies in Thanksgiving Day fire
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - A 62-year-old wheelchair-bound woman has died in a Thanksgiving Day fire in Louisiana.
The New Orleans Advocate/The Times-Picayune reports the fire occurred about 7:30 a.m. Thursday in New Orleans.
Firefighters arrived and were told someone was possibly trapped inside one part of the single-story shotgun double. When they went inside, they found the woman near her front door. The New Orleans Fire Department says the woman died at the scene, likely of smoke inhalation.
The woman's neighbors - two men, a woman and their two dogs - said fire alarms alerted them and allowed them to escape. They weren't injured.
Initial reports show the electrical fire was caused by an overloaded power strip. A space heater had been plugged into it.
The fire is considered accidental.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Residents along the Amite River have been dealing with flooded roads since...
Local restaurants struggling to hire employees as business increases
COAST GUARD: Two more unresponsive crew members recovered from capsized lift boat...
Woman's missing unemployment benefits may have gone to wrong bank account
Second body recovered miles from lift boat as Coast Guard continues search...
Southern Wins Third Straight Bayou Classic
White squad edges Purple in LSU Spring game
'We have a plan': Coach O quiet on how Title IX scandal...
Southeastern regains sole possession of first place in Southland standings with win...
Max Johnson in the mix for LSU starting quarterback job