US wants 2 years to ID migrant kids separated from families
SAN DIEGO (AP) - The Trump administration wants up to two years to find potentially thousands of children who were separated from their parents at the border before a judge halted the practice last year.
The Justice Department said in a court filing late Friday in San Diego that it will take at least a year to review the cases of 47,000 unaccompanied children taken in custody between July 1, 2017 and June 25, 2018. The administration would begin by sifting through names for signs of likely separation - for example, children under 5.
The administration would provide information on separated families on a rolling basis to the American Civil Liberties Union, which sued to reunite families.
The ACLU says it strongly opposes a plan that could take two years.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Parents say Baton Rouge police took 20 minutes to respond to potential...
'It's a long time coming': Iberville Parish President pleased with potential bridge...
In wake of two boating fatalities, Pointe Coupee officials hoping for safe...
Some hurricane plans to change in Tangipahoa after Ida
Location for new bridge narrowed down to three options, all in Iberville...
Southern baseball walks off Jackson State in SWAC Tournament
Southern baseball wins game one 21-2 over Alcorn
VIDEO: Former Saints and Tiger Devery Henderson talks about the difference between...
New NCAA rules tweak opens door for more SEC dominance
VIDEO: Devery Henderson Talk about Bluegrass Miracle and the Saints "Rebirth game"