US stepping up Earth's protection from asteroids, comets
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) - The U.S. government is stepping up efforts to protect the planet from incoming asteroids that could wipe out entire regions or even continents.
The National Science and Technology Council released a report Wednesday calling for improved asteroid detection, tracking and deflection. NASA is participating, along with federal emergency and White House officials.
For now, scientists know of no asteroids or comets heading our way. But one could sneak up on us, and that's why the government wants a better plan.
NASA's planetary defense officer, Lindley Johnson, says scientists have found 95 percent of all near-Earth objects measuring one kilometer or bigger. But the hunt is still on for the remaining 5 percent and smaller rocks that could still inflict big damage.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
State wrestling tournament gives downtown BR a boost in business
FDA approves emergency use of single-shot COVID vaccine from Johnson & Johnson
Local leaders, organizations bring vaccination site to North Baton Rouge
104-year-old celebrates another year
Officials expect fairs, festivals to resume statewide in the near future with...