Texas woman hospitalized after hand sanitizer sparks house fire
AUSTIN - Safety experts are renewing warnings concerning the safe use of hand sanitizer after a mother was burned in a house fire at her Texas home.
According to ABC News, Kate Wise was wrapped in flames after she tried lighting a candle immediately after using an off-brand hand sanitizer.
"The explosion happened in a matter of two seconds with my entire body on fire," Wise told ABC News. "And I heard my daughters screaming 'mom's on fire, mom's on fire.'"
The explosion burned 18 percent of her body, but her children were unharmed. Wise's two youngest daughters were able to escape while she rescued her teenage daughter with cerebral palsy.
"I knew even in the chaos of things that she wasn't going to be able to save herself," Wise said.
Wise suffered second and third-degree burns to her face, arms and legs and spent several days in the intensive care unit.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, fire incidents related to alcohol-based hand sanitizers are very low but the National Fire Protection agency considers them a flammable liquid. Experts recommend you ensure your hands are dry if you're using hand sanitizer before igniting flames like lighters, gas stoves and heaters.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
As mask and distancing restrictions continue to loosen, large events starting to...
La. congressman says there may be hope for residents whose homes are...
Lock down pet boom creates busy work days for veterinarians
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Teenage murder suspect's ankle monitor was off for 3 days...
Cat leaps from burning apartment building, walks away unfazed
LSU pitcher Matt Beck gets his moment at the plate
Brusly baseball needs extra innings to win regional series with Jennings.
Southern Athletic Director Roman Banks talks about coaching search
Drew Brees and Sean Payton enjoy the Zurich Classic
Legendary Parkview coach Kenny Guillot passes away at 76