Suspect in New Orleans officer's death indicted for murder
NEW ORLEANS - The suspect in last month's shooting of a New Orleans police officer has been indicted for first-degree murder.
Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro's office Thursday said a grand jury indicted 30-year-old Darren Bridges in the fatal shooting of Officer Marcus McNeil during a struggle. McNeil was shot after his patrol team left their cars to investigate something suspicious shortly after midnight Oct. 13.
Cannizzaro, in a news release, says his office will pursue the death penalty.
Bridges also was charged with seven other counts, including obstruction of justice in a second-degree murder case and aggravated assault with a firearm upon a police officer. A judge denied bail on the first-degree murder charge and set a $250,000 bond on each of the other counts.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Day of Hope: ACLU warns of potential civil rights violations during EBR...
Thieves steal thousands of dollars worth of tools off church property for...
DEMCO helps Florida get the lights back on after hurricane
K9 recovering after suspect shot at deputies in Tangipahoa Parish
High-ranking Ascension Parish deputy ticketed for DWI, suspended
Fans' Choice Player of the Week 4: Central's Glen Cage
Plaquemine's Jayden Rogers leading the Green Devils through music
Southeastern knocks off #4 Incarnate Word on Eli Sawyer game winning touchdown...
McKinley High's homecoming football game canceled after bench-clearing brawl broke out between...
LSU Baseball team volunteers with Baton Rouge's Miracle League