Suspect in New Orleans officer's death indicted for murder
NEW ORLEANS - The suspect in last month's shooting of a New Orleans police officer has been indicted for first-degree murder.
Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro's office Thursday said a grand jury indicted 30-year-old Darren Bridges in the fatal shooting of Officer Marcus McNeil during a struggle. McNeil was shot after his patrol team left their cars to investigate something suspicious shortly after midnight Oct. 13.
Cannizzaro, in a news release, says his office will pursue the death penalty.
Bridges also was charged with seven other counts, including obstruction of justice in a second-degree murder case and aggravated assault with a firearm upon a police officer. A judge denied bail on the first-degree murder charge and set a $250,000 bond on each of the other counts.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
City leaders aiming to make stricter penalties for stunt drivers
Parents say EBR transportation system had a bumpy ride for the first...
Water turned off at apartment building, management company unreachable
Iberville chlorine leak more dangerous than first thought; parish leaders lambaste plant...
Advocates for jailed juveniles protest possible relocation to Angola