Sheriff: 34 pet cats die in upstate New York shed fire
PORTER - Nearly three dozen pet cats housed in an upstate New York shed have died in a fire.
The Niagara County Sheriff's Office says the 34 cats were discovered by firefighters responding to a blaze Saturday morning. It's unclear what sparked the fire. Fire marshals are investigating.
Officials haven't named the homeowner. But the sheriff's office says the resident dialed 911 after noticing flames in the 12-by-20-foot structure in the front yard of the rural property in Porter, about 15 miles north of Niagara Falls.
Niagara County SPCA shelter manager Kelley Casale says the residence had no history of animal cruelty complaints.
She says the homeowner likely took in strays but failed to neuter and spay them, causing the cats to multiply. She calls the fire deaths horrific.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Truancy a concern, could leave juveniles on a dangerous path
State claims man still owes hundreds due to error in tax form
Walmart teams up with Baton Rouge city-parish leaders to increase vaccine access...
Some Louisiana citizens with disabilities eager to receive COVID vaccine
Burbank Drive burglary victim arrested after allegedly shooting and kidnapping suspected burglar