Retrial set for man accused in woman's burning death
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - A second trial is set to begin Tuesday for a man accused of killing a Mississippi woman by setting her on fire.
Jurors couldn't reach a verdict last year in the first trial of Quinton Tellis, charged with capital murder in the 2014 death of Jessica Chambers.
Prosecutors say cellphone locations, videos, a keychain and Tellis' statements link him to Chambers' death. The government has also subpoenaed a new witness, a woman who says she picked up a man the night Chambers was burned. There's a dispute, though, about how precisely she can identify Tellis.
The defense emphasizes that multiple emergency personnel heard the dying Chambers say someone named "Eric" or "Derek" attacked her.
Tellis faces another murder indictment in Louisiana in the torture death of Meing-Chen Hsiao in Monroe.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Trailer containing original artwork, said to be worth thousands, allegedly stolen from...
Business booming for Denham Springs restaurant after judge orders to halt operation
SU Athletic Department and CareSouth host curbside back to school giveaway
2MAD: Women United providing single moms, families with fresh food amid pandemic
Former LSU track star mourns younger brother's death, killed in S. Flannery...