Residents near Texas fire told to stay indoors
HOUSTON (AP) - Authorities have told residents within a 1-mile radius of a burning chemical plant near Houston to stay indoors.
Tuesday's fire at the KMCO chemical plant in Crosby comes about two weeks after a March 17 blaze at a petrochemical storage facility in Deer Park, located about 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of Crosby.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office issued the shelter-in-place order for residents within 1 mile (1.6 kilometers) of the KMCO plant. Emergency officials say people should turn off all fans and heating and cooling systems, and to go into an interior room with no windows.
Schools near the plant are also sheltering in place.
According to its web site, KMCO is a chemical company that offers coolant and brake fluid products and chemicals for the oilfield industry.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Amendments suggested to Ascension Parish moratorium
Residents in Morning Glen contemplate next steps fearing another flood
Massive inferno at Hola Nola Foods facility likely sparked by electrical issue
INVESTIGATIVE UNIT: Employees fear 19 reports filed about broken prison cells fell...
Amazon investing $200M into new facility at former Cortana Mall site