Reports: Samsung quick fix for Note 7 is no full recharge
SEOUL, South Korea - Reports say Samsung plans to issue a software update for its recalled Galaxy Note 7 smartphones that will prevent them from overheating by limiting battery recharges to under 60 percent.
Yonhap News and other South Korean media reported Tuesday, citing Samsung Electronics, that the company will issue a software update for any users of the Note 7 who may be disregarding its recall notice and continuing to use the smartphone.
The company plans to begin issuing new Note 7s with batteries it says will not be prone to overheating beginning on Sept. 19.
Earlier this month, Samsung recalled 2.5 million Note 7s, citing fire risks from the smartphone's battery. It said the problem stemmed from a manufacturing error.
Samsung did not answer emails and calls seeking confirmation of the reports.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
WATCH: Frustrated mother duck attacks firefighter saving her ducklings
Arrest made in mysterious death of Ole Miss student; suspect seen leaving...
LSU locker room renovation sparks debate
One killed, one critical after fiery crash on Siegen Lane late Monday
LSU football players dazzled by new locker room