One person injured in kitchen fire at S. Sherwood Forest Boulevard apartment
BATON ROUGE - On Thursday (Jan. 7) evening, a fire broke out at an apartment home on S. Sherwood Forest Boulevard.
Officials with the Baton Rouge Fire Department say they arrived on scene shortly after 7 p.m. and found the fire extinguished, but one person suffering from minor burns.
According to firefighters, it all started when residents at the apartment were frying fish and the pot they were using caught fire. One of the residents called 911 and got help from a neighbor, who quickly used a fire extinguisher to squelch the blaze. But, in the process, the neighbor suffered minor burns to his arms and legs, from the grease.
Officials say the neighbor was treated at the scene of the fire.
They add that the fire damaged the home's kitchen.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking is the most common cause of home fires and fire-related injuries.
Click here for suggestions on how to avoid cooking-related fires.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Baton Rouge rapper NBA YoungBoy pleads not guilty to federal weapons charges
Officials with EBR Schools face pushback from community over 'Smart Start' plan
Thursday's 2 Your Health Report
Roofers slammed after hail storms damage properties in Ascension
Parish offers 'no comment' to eroding drainage ditch issue in Prairieville
'We have a plan': Coach O quiet on how Title IX scandal...
Southeastern regains sole possession of first place in Southland standings with win...
Max Johnson in the mix for LSU starting quarterback job
Coach O admits to mistakes, takes steps to correct them in the...
Saints QB Jameis Winston gets emotional discussing Drew Brees