One dead after Wednesday fire at self storage facility
BATON ROUGE- One person is dead after a Wednesday morning business fire.
At 1:14 a.m. firefighters from the Baton Rouge Fire Department and the St. George Fire Department responded to a commercial building fire at Safeguard Self Storage on Coursey Boulevard. At the scene, firefighters found smoke coming from the second floor.
After forcing their way into the building, crews found an unresponsive woman near the stairs on the second floor. The woman was removed from the building and resuscitation measures were performed. She was then transported to the hospital.
Authorities believe the woman was the complex manager who was living in an apartment in the main building. According to a Thursday morning statement, the woman succumbed to her injuries from the fire.
The fire started in the kitchen. Investigators can't rule out accidental factors at this time.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Early morning storm rolls through BR, surrounding areas
Baton Rouge rapper NBA YoungBoy pleads not guilty to federal weapons charges
Officials with EBR Schools face pushback from community over 'Smart Start' plan
Thursday's 2 Your Health Report
Roofers slammed after hail storms damage properties in Ascension
'We have a plan': Coach O quiet on how Title IX scandal...
Southeastern regains sole possession of first place in Southland standings with win...
Max Johnson in the mix for LSU starting quarterback job
Coach O admits to mistakes, takes steps to correct them in the...
Saints QB Jameis Winston gets emotional discussing Drew Brees