Officials: Box of rags caught fire, prompted evacuation at state capitol Monday
BATON ROUGE - Lawmakers cleared out of the state capitol after a fire alarm was triggered mid-session Monday.
Officials said they exited the chambers inside the capitol building after the alarm was triggered shortly before 6 p.m. Those in the building at the time say the alarm and subsequent evacuation were instigated by a smokey smell inside.
Not a thing you see everyday. Burning down the House! pic.twitter.com/tO0fAxwXlv— Rep. Julie Stokes (@JulieSStokes) May 6, 2019
Officials said the smoke came from a crate of cleaning rags that caught fire in the kitchen area. Investigators believe the fire was the result of spontaneous combustion.
No injuries were reported, and people were allowed back into the building soon afterward.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Deputies investigating string of car break-ins at Luxury Baton Rouge apartment complex
Mass vaccine site opens again Tuesday, April 20
Baton Rouge rapper to appear in court today
LSU announces that students will not be required to get COVID-19 vaccines
Coast Guard suspends search for Seacor Power crew, volunteer diver weighs in...
Legendary Parkview coach Kenny Guillot passes away at 76
Southern Wins Third Straight Bayou Classic
White squad edges Purple in LSU Spring game
'We have a plan': Coach O quiet on how Title IX scandal...
Southeastern regains sole possession of first place in Southland standings with win...